I have followed that exact philosophy strictly since I dammed near died in Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park on my first solo wintercamping trip. I was 24, had a considerable amount of serious bush experience and had wintercamped, BUT, I was over-confident and pushed myself until dark on snowshoes which soaked me with sweat.

When I finally stoped to camp, it was black dark, my Svea was balky and LED headlamps didn't exist in 1970. I was wet through, found that my down bag was also completely saturated and my sleeping bag cover was missing. Fortunately, I am very comfortable alone in the bush and although scared, I knew what to do.

I gathered Cedar boughs, covered myself and the snow with them, changed into my dry socks with my pacs loosened and huddled under my bag as a shelter from the wind. Within an hour, I was warm, sleepy and just sat there until dawn and then snowshoed out to the highway. I was wearing "Mellofleece" merino wool union suit, wool sweater, pants and socks plus wool jackshirt, IF, I had either injured myself OR been wearing cotton or many synthetics, I would have died; I have been back there many times since and I still wear merino wool AND carry a bivy rig.