BTDT. Assuming you are reasonably emergency prepared, (and especially if you are not!) the first thing you have to overcome is panic- the need to "do something" - to "get out" or to find a point of reference. That feeling working its way up from the pit of one's stomach is - or often can be - overpowering from the reports of lost (mostly dead) participants. I've experienced it. "Don't Panic" is the first rule. It isn't easy. Whatever your resources, don't push dark- start "camping" early - find shelter, wood, water if needed and "make camp" A fire is an amazingly comfortable thing- and drinking mere hot water can help ward off hypothermia.

I've spent several unplanned nights "out" - not knowing exactly where I was - but knowing enough to stay put, build a fire, get into the best shelter possible, etc. until daylight so I could figure out where I was, or, if knowing where I was, to move safely again.

"Don't Panic" ... Easier said than done - but after a few times, it almost becomes a comfort zone- I say this in what you might think kiddingly fashion- but I've gotten myself lost quite a bit over the years! Meaning I didn't know where I was, but knew how to get out of there. Then there is Lost which I've managed by a bit of "creative navigation" to find a reference point. This is not to be confused with haring off willy-nilly in hopes of "finding something recognizable". Exactly.... "Lost" (first letter capatalized) just doesn't worry me that much anymore - the next step is LOST, which I've never utilized, but have come to terms with, if needed. But don't be an idiot either- do the things you should be doing within your means- Basic survival gear, GPS, cell phones, a Sat. phone, PLD, etc are not just for wusses- if you can afford AND USE them. All are mere appendages to the basic map and compass and basic survival gear for the circumstances (it varies). LOST (all cap letters) IS WHERE YOU SIT DOWN AND WAIT FOR SOMEONE TO COME FIND YOU. I've yet to achieve this - but I ain't proud- if I need to, I will.

I carry 2 or 3 compasses - after 30 years of the practice, I actually had 2 compasses go south on me in the same year- the first time it had ever happened - but have been known to lose the primary compass at times somewhere along the line... Do NOT depend on the fancy crap (electronics fail- magnetizem endures!), but do know how to use them over and above basic navigation/survival skills and prep. if the need arises. Anything over basic map and compass, IMHO, falls into the "convenience" category.... Valuable, but not to be fully trusted when the chit hits the fan- I've twice had GPS units fail me when I most needed them. The antanae once, "rollover" at the satellite another second time.

The second thing you (or I, at least) have to fight is embarrassment - no one wants the rescue teams out after you. Once, for me- if you count the lone trooper that came out checking my rig after a misunderstanding with my wife- i.e. WRITE down your plans! An acquaintaince with whom I'd gotten lost the year before told the trooper at the trailhead not to worry- "He's either dead, or he'll make it out on his own. Or he'll build a fire for the rescue helicopter in a day or so." Is that a vote of confidence, or what? smile I was just a might delayed packing moose meat- the part of the contingency plan the wife hadn't mentally registered when I merely TOLD it to her.... so write it down!

The third thing (2nd and 3rd may be switchable) is the worry of loved ones.

Well, screw # 2 and #3- your job is to survive! So pay attention to #1!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.