In my opinion, the most important part of surviving a cold, wet night is making fire. The best training is making fires in all sorts of conditions. I think one of the best things to do, particularly with kids, is to make it a game. Look outside on a really miserable day and say, "I bet I can get a fire going." Or take a break while hunting and make a micro-fire. The more you build fires, the more you build confidence. Some guys will pack gear for years and never actually use it. The most important survival tool is the one sitting between your ears. The most valuable gear is confidence tempered by experience.

Honestly, guys, most of us are not going to end up like Robinson Crusoe having to trap to survive for weeks. The most likely scenario is we get "boogered up" by getting lost, hurt or trapped by weather or some combination thereof. Our job is to stay alive and give rescuers every possible edge in finding us. My approach is to plan to make fire, make shelter and make do. As for my one "trick," I pack Gaines burgers dog food. I only will eat them if I am pretty darn hungry... unlikely more palatable survival food. They will sit in my pack until the end of the year and then the dog gets a little bonus.

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.