I expect the wettest forest in the world, while formidable in its way, is also a lot less windy than some of the plains and mountains we hunt in. That wind...

I ran into a friend yesterday who was wading a river earlier this year, took a bad step, and had his whole quadriceps tear away from his knee--old sports injury, I guess. Put a hitch in his giddyup, but he's a calm guy and it worked out fine. I had another hunting friend have an Achilles go, and his whole calf rolled up behind his knee. Those are strange stories, but I'd hate to die of a broken or badly sprained ankle just because it took me three, four, or five nights to get out. That's why I carry redundant fire starter, water purification tabs, enough shelter to break the wind and stay dry from above and below, and some way to signal. The whole kit can be pretty darned light and make a huge difference.

Carlsen Highway sure is right about picking the right spot, though, and others nailed the importance of giving yourself time to find and prepare it. I've slipped through some pretty grim situations that way. I had my son in a grass-lined and grass-covered pit under a rock overhang in Idaho's Salmon River Breaks in January snow a couple of years ago. No tree cover in that country, and lots of air was moving. He was fine. Since I didn't have enough time to gather sufficient grass for myself before deep dark in that dry, cliff-filled place, my own night was a lot less pleasant.