Gents, Like others have said, pack like you won't be able to build a fire, but make one if you can. I am a newbie when it comes to hunting, much less backpack hunting, but have spent some time in the woods. When you are mountain hunting, do you not pass through the forest on the way up? Do you ever pass evergreen blow downs, with some spikes sticking up from the stump? Those spikes are "lighter pine" or "fat wood", very flammable and pretty waterproof. Sometimes you'll see hard little stubs or knots where a branch has fallen or been broken off, same thing, but be careful when you dig them out as they are hard enough to chip your blade. White birch bark is also very flammable do to the oil content and can be gathered as you walk. Lighter pine is also available for purchase, Why not carry a sitck or three with you as instant tinder?
Kute, Sparkers, come large and small. Can be found in BSA stores and many camping supplies. Lighters (Bics) frequently leak, and don't like cold much. Yes I carry several, but also carry matches in K&M match case and GI match cases and several sparker rods scattered about. Just my .02 FWIW.
How many of you choose their hunting equipment as survival gear, or don't but carry some sort of kit or do both?
Regards Jim
Ps. Kute, Id love to see the insides of your pack.
Pss. Great thread!!!

Last edited by alligator; 12/18/07.