First, to each their own. I ain't an expert in anything.

I carry an axe, saw, and knife(s). I try to be able, within limitations, to do with my axe, what I can do with my knifes and vise versa, but there are things an axe can do better then a knife, and a saw is an energy saver. Plus saws make nice flat ends for splitting.

Regards bleeding control; direct pressure, elevation, pressure dressing, pressure point and tourniquet. If your alone and cut yourself that badly with your axe or knife, I'd apply the tourniquet on myself to get a handle on the bleeding, put in the quick clot (or preferably Chitosan), and pack the wound, then apply the pressure dressing over it all. Then release (but don't remove) the tourniquet slooooly, and see. Now'd be a good time to activate wilderness 911(PLB).

FYI: what you just described is part of the raison de tair of what is known as a blowout kit. Military in origin, it is designed for self aid/buddy aid, to treat the treatable things that can kill you before help can get to you. They are; massive extremity bleed, tension pneumothorax, and airway compromise. Not rocket science though It might seem so, any returning vet(THANK YOU!) can teach you how to use it in a day, and it fits in a BDU pants pocket.

Regards, Jim

Last edited by alligator; 08/24/12.