I came late to this tread so forgive me if this is repeat info.

I carry a Jerven bag www.jerven.com the website explains it better than I can. This is wind proof, water proof and warm, weighs about 3.5 pounds, carries rolled up on bottom of Mystery Ranch Big Horn pack until needed. I've used it as on stand in sub-zero weather also as a "blind" during two heavy wet snow events that sent everyone else home whilst I killed several deer, as a bivi-sack over a 0 degree bag, and light weight sleeping bag in suimmer.

Along with the Jerven bag I carry a heavy down jacket and a pair of down pants. Put on the jacket and pants and slide into the Jerven bag, very comfortable to 20 degrees, keep you alive lots lower temps. All I need for summer pack trips, really multi use. I super cold weather I "wear" my sleeping bag.

Survival has 3 areas of concern in reverse order:

3. Food. You can survive several weeks without food. Yes, you may start to feel like crap after a couple of days and you may, depending on your physiology and environmental conditions deteriorate quickly. High fat, high protein will keep you happier(warmer) than granola ever dreamed of.

2. Water. You can die. DIE. From dehydration in a few hours. Three days is about it for most people before you start to go nutz. Keeping hydrated is vastly more important than food. I had dysentary once, as close to death as I ever want to come. A water purification system is paramount to your long term survival. I have two, a ultra-voilet light purifier and a chemical purification system, either will work in cold or dirty conditions.

1. Dry and Warm. Dead in 30 minutes in some conditions just from cold, dead in a few minutes if you're wet and cold. Warm and dry is of paramount importance far outsrtipping either water or food.

The Jerven bag was about $350.00, down jacket and pants about $400.00 how much would you pay to not freeze to death? NEVER under any conditions wear cotton clothes whislt hiking in cold weather conditions. Cotton kills period.

Fire starting: Carry several of those little chemical hand warmer packs. You can't build a fire with frozen fingers, most people will be very cold BEFORE they try to build a fire, cold hands can make that impossible. Lighters. Butane lighters don't work reliabily at elevations over 7000 feet, no kidding, been there, done that. There are little sealed lighters similar to Zippo's, actually use Zippo parts. I've bought them at gun shows. They are sealed and do not dry out even after several YEARS in your pocket. Find them, cost me $8.00, buy several, they work, period. Carry fuel tabs, build your fire over the fuel tab, it will work every time, weight about 1/2 oz, costs a few cents, will save your butt.

When I first got into the guiding business I asked the outfitter I was guiding for if my 44 mag was enough for bear protection, his reply was based on nearly 40 years in the mountains, "Son, it ain't gona be a bear that kills you out here, it'll be a broken ankle. Carry a walking stick, use it."

I ALWAYS HAVE A SET OF THREE SECTION WALKING STICKS. One to walk with all the time and one strapped to my pack. When I carry a bi-pod BOTH sticks are on the pack while I use the bi-pod as a stick. When packing out an animal I strap my rifle to my pack and use both sticks. My best friends nephew is an ex Seal, he thinks I'm an old lady for using the sticks and never used the ones my friend bought him after he slipped and broke his leg. He broke his leg AGAIN this year while hunting. Second time in 5 years, he's a jackass. A prime example of "If you're stupid, I hope you"re tough..." If you are hunting alone this could be fatal in some circumstances. At least, depending on the break, there is a good chance you could loose your foot from complications if you do not get help soon, learned that from an orthopedic MD client. I insisted that my clients use sticks, got lots of crap about it until they fell over and rolled down the mountain a ways. Fortunately, not one every hurt themselves seriously, though we had sereral injuries each season from "know-it-all" "tough guys" that thought we were Girly-men for using sticks. One ass actually asked for a refund because he spent half his trip in camp with a sprained ankle. My reply was ESAD, (eat .... and die) you screwed up, not me.