Originally Posted by Eremicus
Really wet, day after day wet weather. Where nothing can dry out might give the warmth edge to wool. I don't know. I do have some doubts. E

E, nothing works well in day after day deep dampness if you can't throw it in a dryer each night. That's why the big majority of hunters who live anywhere near the wet coast go east of the mountains to hunt!

Idahochukar, What did the old timers like Lewis and Clark wear? Heavy stuff. The men who climbed Everest (or tried) 50-75 years ago wore horribly heavy clothes compared to what we have now.

As to wet, read the account of Lewis and Clark. They weren't in rain forest, just the northern Oregon coast. The elk hide clothes they wore rotted on their bodies. They had planned to stay in their winter camp much longer to let snow melt in the passes for their return, but they couldn't stand the wet conditions anymore and bugged out for Idaho early. Survive? Yes. Comfortable? No.

I like Capilene and wear it quite a bit. Nothing is perfect but we have some fabulous gear options compared to the previous few thousand years. And though I'm generally a conservative dinosaur about clothes and gear, I'm expecting us to develop a film or energy field that controls climate next to skin and would allow a man to climb Everst in a T-shirt and shorts, on one set of high energy batteries.

Last edited by Okanagan; 02/19/08.