I got to spend an unexpected night on the mountain, sheep hunting this year in Alaska. BUT I was semi prepared for such a thing. We ditched all of our camp gear, big optics, etc to make a stalk on two good rams. It was ~ 4:00 PM. The stalk took longer than expected- loots of [bleep] rock to sidehill and then a spot we had to lose a bunch (and then regain) elevation for fear of being see. THEN when we finally made the stalk to where they were bedded- they weren't there! We'd back off, get further down the ridge- creep up and nothing. After the fourth (or fifth) time of doing it, when finally spotted them. They had moved much further down into the bowl they were previously above. After making the shot it took us 20-30 minutes to get to the ram.

We got some pics and then got to business caping and coming meat. By the time we were done it was a little after 9:00 PM- we had about an hour of light left and at least two hours of hiking to get to our packs. With the rather treacherous rock we had to negotiate and the heavier packs, the guide thought it would be best to say on the mountain.

The guide had warm clothing, but nothing else. I had puffy pants and a puffy jacket, but also an insulated hat and booties (about 2-3 oz for both). I also had a 20x50" section of Z-Lite pad to insulate underneath me. AND an emergency bivy to crawl into.

I won't lie, I was pretty cold, but managed a little sleep. The guide FROZE! He ended curled up the sheep cape laugh

We well above treeline, so nothing in the way for fire (which certainly would have been nice).

The good news is it gets light early, so only about 5 hours of suffering (less suffering for me!)

Anyways the guide said he'd be making a few changes smile

[Linked Image from imgur.com]