I haven't mentioned the differences between the very best grades of Meriono Wool base layer, what you always recommmend, and Patagonia's Capliene because I've just started using it in the last year.
The so called "skin chilling" effect of synthetic base layers is something that has been very short lived and never has chilled me simply because I open or close my pit zips as the need arises. I've even gone as far as getting myself good and wet while doing things like snowshoeing just to see if it would be a problem. Even when I don't peel my insulation layers and get good and wet, the stuff has always dried out faster than I can chill. Using the Merino Wool base layer under the same conditions, w/o even pushing it, I get wet and stay wet. Can't sit and glass for long, for instance, even with all my extra clothing on like I can with the Capliene base layer.
I might add that this only applys to Patagonia's Capliene vs. their Merino Wool base layer clothing. It only applys to their Regulator insulation layers as well. Other types of fleece insulation doesn't dry nearly as well. If the insulation layer doesn't dry out, the base layer, even Capliene, doesn't dry out as well. I've used Capliene with wool insulation layers. It, the Capliene, doesn't work as efficently there either if the wool gets wet to any degree. It all has to work together if you want to see the best results. E