Aboriginal peoples on the BC Coast and into the interior wore and prized "Chilcat Blankets", made of, you guessed it, WOOL from Rocky Mtn. Goats. Later, they made shawls and sweaters from lanolin retaining virgin wool and I wore these for years working in the worst weather of the coast....they work extremely well doen to minus 40 with a shell to cut the wind.

They also used waterproof capes or ponchos of finely woven Cedar rootlets to stay dry and these passed moisture out as vapour while keeping rain off their clothing/skin. Check the BC Museum or UBC Anthropology to see this.

Much of the Everest clothing of Merkel, Mallory and the other Everest greats was BETTER than most of what is now popular and this has recently been verified by use on an expedition. I have had two Ventile parkas and over merino wool and really fine down, they will out-perform ANY other shells in sub-zero cold and high winds.

Synthetics sell because they are cheap and do work quite well, but, if you live in real wilderness and are there for extended periods, you soon find what is best; it simply requires an open mind, independent use and actual experience in such conditions.

What about BUGS when tripping along au natural??? Worst damm sunburn I ever got was doing this on Bulldog Lookout one fine July Sunday in 1974.....ah, the good old days.....