Originally Posted by johnw
I'm curious if anyone has designed a better lighter for fire starting yet? I've become pretty proficient with the various firesteel and striker type, but an easy flame is a handy and beautiful thing for many activities.

My big bitch with the bic lighter is that your thumb is practically in the flame when it is lit. It's just not a lighter to hold a flame for 20 seconds. I have and use a zippo, but am not fond of it. It runs out of fuel when you need it and if you overfill it and keep it in your pocket it will burn you with raw fuel. Keep it with your food and the fumes will contaminate your chow.

A piezo bic with a stand off striker and fuel control (maybe a half inch below the flame?) would be better.

And I know a guy can always get by with something. A vaseline/cotton ball lights easily enough with the bic and can be handled with a leatherman or impaled on a small stick.

Bottom line: I want a better lighter. Butane fueled, stand off controls for extended burn time, and maybe refillable...

What is out there that is reliable and worthy???

John-
I've found piezo lighters at a local tobacco/cigarette shop.
In addition to what you've described. when my hands are cold and wet spinning a striker wheel and pushing on the gas valve can be difficult. Piezo takes that first step out. The lighters I've found are good, but tend to not be particularly durable for for than a few trips.

Hope that was helpful.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender