My Brother got lost and spent a night in the Maine woods. He said it was Not Fun. He couldn't wait for morning. He fired a shot, and the guys looking for him fired back until he found his way back. He tells me about it over and over again.

I don't go in the woods without a pack, and I have a zip lock with a container of safety matches, a lighter, fire starter cubes, and a space blanket. Regardless of whatever else goes in the bag, that stays in.

I have heard the rule of three's.

3 hours to die from exposure (kind of hard to figure how they came up with that), 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food. I've heard other versions but I know the weather can get me first. My first opportunity, I'm getting a fire going and curling up in a space blanket.

I was hunting in North Carolina during an ice storm, and I was going to be picked up at noon. About 8am, I was freezing and I got down and lit a little fire. You could fit it in a a #10 can, but it made me feel so much better to get down in the brush and lean over a little fire.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson