Originally Posted by antlers
Many people…maybe most people…were raised on a version of the Christian faith that relied on the Bible as the foundation of the Christian faith ~ a version that many people…maybe most people…see as having been dismantled by academia and/or the realities of life. The faith of Jesus’ most devoted first century followers relied on the event of the resurrection of Jesus as its foundation ~ as they all made crystal clear in the historical documents that they wrote. Maybe people nowadays should consider ‘that’ version as well. If people give up on the faith of Christianity because of something about or in the Bible, maybe they’re giving up on it unnecessarily.

I don't disagree with any of this, but need to clarify that because people BELIEVE the Bible has been dismantled by academia and/or the realities of life doesn't mean that it has been. Also, Biblical truths can be, and are, troubling, often requiring years of prayer, if not a lifetime, to work through. If one gives up after much prayer and consideration, well thats between them and the Father. In no case do I believe Truths are negotiable.

We should not expect Christianity to be an easy sell. Early Christians, without a Bible, obviously knew this too. What happened to Jesus and all but one of the Disciples? Try to sell that. I agree whole heartly that focus should be on the resurrection and the new birth.

Also, Christians will never be in the majority. In Jesus' first documented Sermon, the Sermon on the Mount, he made this scary clear. Therefore, if Christians ever appear to be in the majority, know that its in appearance alone. We are being deceived.