Originally Posted by 2muchgun

I am just trying to figure out some particulars that will give me a good reading as to quality for price.

There are optics companies popping up right and left. Different names but most all made by just a small handful of Asian firms. Some better than others. Most in the same price range are made by the same companies and are nearly all the same in regards to internal designs/glass.

Fact is, different companies have different names for the same $hit they peddle. Listening to fools argue which is better out of Jap scopes that are basically the same internally with same quality of glass made in same plant gets old. Guess what? Same [bleep] with different name/cosmetics.

Some are completely made in house, and many are contracted out, often with more than one company getting it's mitts on the same scope. Often dictated by who can get the work done at any given time. Others are simply contracted to the highest bidder.
grin

I'd say there is some truth to that, and a lot that's not. For instance there can be 5 different brands, made by LOW or Kamakura in Japan, and have different glass, OEM specs, etc, etc etc. About the only thing they could have in common is the OEM.

A good example is that, unbeknownst to many, a Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortex Razor HD, and Kahles binoculars are all made in Japan by Kamakura. Leupold's fantastic Gold Ring HD was too. They are obviously not identical products. Also unbeknownst to most, there are varying grades of HD/ED/UHD glass, even though all of it is termed "HD" or something similar depending on the particular brand it's marketed under.

I highly doubt anybody is going to find out how good these products are by reading about it. I have a Meopta HD, Swarovision, Gold Ring HD, and my buddy Big Al has a SLC HD. I'm going to get my hands on a Toric 8x42 ASAP and find out for myself, and leave the speculating to the experts here on 24HCF.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.