Originally Posted by Pappy348
FWIW, all the recoil test fixtures I've seen appear to test the recoil by repeatedly banging the scope in the expected direction of recoil. Impacts from the opposite direction or from above or the sides, as could occur from real-world accidents weren't included. Airgun scopes intended for use on springers are designed to withstand the dual recoil and vibration from those guns. It'd be a pretty good trick to design a fixture to test for the random impacts a scope can experience in the field, and it still wouldn't account for differences in mounts, ring-spacing, etc.

So far, ordinary scopes have worked well for me, aside for some vagaries in adjustments, with ordinary care and caution in use. Now that ones with better adjustments are available, I'll trend towards them, and continue to use them with reasonable caution in the field. Those who require mil-spec durability are free to buy scopes that meet that requirement, and should expect to pay for it.

Need one of these to test scopes. MAST test rig

Instrument the gun, scope. Record data. Condition data for use with MTS controller, run test.

Or a 3 axis EDS for higher frequency testing, and shock testing. EDS

GOA