Originally Posted by sbhooper
It is amazing to me, how companies get butt hurt over poor evaluation of their products. A friend of mine was an editor of an outdoor magazine. He was given some spotting scopes to test. He did an honest evaluation and found out that was not what they wanted, when they pulled $25,000 in ad money from the mag. I will never buy that brand of high-end optics.

It's for this reason that I find it hard to take results in a magazine sans a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

This is very interesting to me.

Are the testing and results something that can be made public? It would be very interesting to see which scopes failed and in which area(s) they failed.

I have received several questions about this- no, unfortunately the test and results can not be shared. Every major brand had a scope/scopes evaluated.

I see a lot of scopes used on an individual level, and if there are specific questions I might be able to answer them.

Understand and appreciate it. Not brand/model specific, but overall, could you share the most common areas of failure? Areas (or tests) that a user should look at/test first if they are testing an unknown scope....something of an "if it passes these tests, the others are probably fine"?

Originally Posted by Formidilosus

There has been calls to send me another Tract- DO NOT send me one. You won’t own the results.

Should be noted that even if Tract doesn't own the results, the results of your testing are useful to others.