Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Farmboy1,

Actually the Response scope Formidilosus tested is listed at $374 on the Tract site, not $600.

Among the interesting things about this entire thread is how many Campfire members apparently think the failed test of one less-expensive Tract scope means ALL Tract scopes will fail in the same way. This reasoning is known as a "false syllogism," such as "My Labrador retriever is black, therefore all Labs are black." (An even more appropriate false syllogism on the Optics forum would be, "The Leupold scope I've owned for 30 years has never failed, therefore Leupold scopes don't fail.)

Now, before the Response dust-up, Tract said all their scopes are built to the same standards, which is almost as illogical. However, a bunch of other people have tested Tract's highest-priced Toric scope considerably, including one "drop test" I know of identical to Formidilosus's test, a foot onto a pad on top of a shooting bench. The Toric held up fine, and also adjusted accurately, unlike the Response scope.

Yet we keep repeatedly hearing from Campfire members who've never even seen any model of Tract scope, much less mounted one on a rifle, about how they're all OBVIOUSLY pieces of junk. However, I'm not very surprised by this, since after all the Campfire's an Internet site.

John, I have a lot of respect for you, your posts, and writings. However, your post above is inconsistent with my typical view. You seem to have a dog in this fight as you defend the "illogical" statements by Tract,that all their scopes are built to the same standard. Why would you go out on a limb to defend the company? This seems like a bad position to take. You're basically saying that Tract is wrong in their statements, yet you jump in to support them. Weird thing to do for Joe-Average, but a conflict of interest when you're a journalist, don't you think?

Also, I think you're getting confused and pointing fingers at people, "who've never even seen any model of Tract scope, much less mounted one on a rifle". I don't think anyone who's complaining about Tract's online behavior has stated that they have ANY experience with Tract scopes. We are discussing the inconsistent information and behavior of Tract. This has, and should, cause some people to be suspicious of the company. But what you are saying is that we need to buy a Tract before we are allowed to have an opinion. I don't think this holds water.

I encourage all the Tract defenders to reread the thread. I don't think any one of the people painted as "anit-Tract" made any claims as outlined by the Tract defenders.

And I standby my statement. Tract has a captive audience. It's a great opportunity, if they seize it. Trevor and bhoges have folded.

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/21/18.