Farmboy1,

Actually the Response scope Formidilosus tested is listed at $374 on the Tract site, not $600.

Among the interesting things about this entire thread is how many Campfire members apparently think the failed test of one less-expensive Tract scope means ALL Tract scopes will fail in the same way. This reasoning is known as a "false syllogism," such as "My Labrador retriever is black, therefore all Labs are black." (An even more appropriate false syllogism on the Optics forum would be, "The Leupold scope I've owned for 30 years has never failed, therefore Leupold scopes don't fail.)

Now, before the Response dust-up, Tract said all their scopes are built to the same standards, which is almost as illogical. However, a bunch of other people have tested Tract's highest-priced Toric scope considerably, including one "drop test" I know of identical to Formidilosus's test, a foot onto a pad on top of a shooting bench. The Toric held up fine, and also adjusted accurately, unlike the Response scope.

Yet we keep repeatedly hearing from Campfire members who've never even seen any model of Tract scope, much less mounted one on a rifle, about how they're all OBVIOUSLY pieces of junk. However, I'm not very surprised by this, since after all the Campfire's an Internet site.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck