Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

I told him they should focus on mechanical tracking. Frankly there are tons of other optics out there that IMO make a lot more sense to buy than a tract. However our options are limited on scopes that track mechanically. I think they should make this their trait rather than glass or anything else. put up some videos of the scopes being tested mechanically. Provide a guarantee the optic will function mechanically. basically sell us this over just another scope in a highly competitive market.

That makes a lot of sense. Just curious, how did he respond?

I think he was listening. He also told me many times optics companies use 1" internals in 30 and even 34 mm scope and market them as HD offerings when in reality they are nothing more than a larger tube with the same guts in it as a 1" tube. He didn't mention any makes but I personally feel Burris does this all the time, honestly I don't think he would be surprised at what formadillo found in their cheap line of scopes. I didn't mention the formadillo results as I didn't want to upset him or seem like I was trying to cause a problem. Rather I just wanted to talk to him about the business.

will they actually change to what I think many of us would like to see? I have my doubts. These guys all come from the main line optics industry. I think he was a former nikon guy. They tend to want to do the same thing they did at the company they worked for I would assume. Nikon I hasn't shown they really care about tracking. nightforce on the other hand has videos of them banging and testing the scopes. The fact is people are doing way more with optics these days than they did in the past. its surprising how few companies are out there that really cater to mechanical reliability. They get away with it because honestly your average guy doesn't shoot much. The scopes that break probably cost 1/4 to 1/5th what they retail for. So they just batch QC those scopes and send out a replacement. Heck even vortex with the PST 2. of all the companies out there that aught to know better. I test 2 off the shelf examples and both had right reticle shift with elevation travel. Yet your average guy will never figure that out.

what I think should happen is an optics company has their scope built solely by LOW in japan. Then they offer a DVD with each scope that shows that scope being QC tested in the lab, probably locally here in the US. Show the serial number of the optic. then show the turrets functioning in a culminator, show the scope being shock tested like nightforce does. Show the scope returning to zero. Do all the tests a company like nightforce does. BUT PROVIDE A VIDEO DVD OF THAT SCOPE BEING TESTED!!! add $100 to the cost of every optic to video the test and conduct it. that is how a company like tract rises from obscurity. imagine a video DVD in the box with the scope showing all the testing done to that particular scope. no one is doing that. I bet something like that would get all our attention around here. oh yeah and put a signed sticker on the objective bell by the person that tested it, just like nightforce does.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 06/19/18.