I bought a 300 Win Mag Model 700 12 or 14 years ago with the idea of building a custom 300 H&H ( because I'm a Looney). Time went by and I bought a 7 MM Mag new take off barrel for $35.00 and had Capitol Sports square up the action, lap the lugs and screw on the barrel. Glass bedded it in a B&C stock. Arnold returned the rifle in a couple of weeks and it shot consistent three shots touching, around 1/2" with the first load I tried using 160 grain Accu Bonds. Damn! Just out of curiosity, a year or so later I tried it again, just to see if history would repeat itself and sure enough it did. I had two great shooting 7 MM Mags in the safe. I killed an elk and 2 Mulies with those rifles. Both of the rifles had 26" SS barrels and weighed around 8.5 pounds, which didn't handle as well as my Model 70 FWT 270's and I really couldn't tell much difference in the effects on game at the ranges I limit myself to, usually less than 300 yards. My two sons now use these rifles exclusively and really like the 7MM Mag chambering, both have taken a trucks loads of game with them.Nothing That I can find wrong with the big 7MM, just stopped using it because I like lighter and handier rifles at 72 years old. Today I mainly shoot a 308 700 bedded in a McMillain Edge Classic or my 270 Win FWT in a McMillian in a FWT pattern stock, but am really liking my 6.5x55 Fieldcraft. Overall the 7MM Remington Magnum is one of the greats.

By the way I did build the 300 H&H, which has yet to be hunted, really not a lot better than the old 30 06. I like my 7X57 which is just to another over lapping chambering, but they are all fun!

Last edited by Switch; 04/09/20.