I am new to the 7mm Reminton Magnum.....less than a year.

It is an OLD blued Savage 110 with a wood stock that was an old truck gun. The blue is worn on the high spots all over it and the anodizing on the scope was worn from front to back. I got it for $250 at a pawnshop with the intention to change the barrel to another caliber. The handloader in me said "try it".........I am glad I did. It is the most accurate high intensity cartridge I load for at the bench. It was also the easiest to find an accurate load for from the first moment I fired it.

I have never shot a cartridge at 300 yards, with a witness, that grouped 2 inches. When we were done I wondered how or why I avoided it for so long. I answered my own question, I was happy with the .243 and know what it and I could do. I know I do not have the hunting experience nor the marksmanship skills as others, but this "IS'" a cartridge that lends itself to helping a shooter realize accurate shooting without a lot of fuss. I have only accomplished the same accuracy with a .243 Winchester. I never expected the same from a belted magnum and me behind the bolt. I have seen others shoot it and they always did very well and I felt it was because they had used it for many years and knew how to "handle" its strength. I am now a part of that group and could not be happier.

The load it likes is:
IMR 4831...61.7 GRAINS
Speer 145 BTSP
Federal brass with Winchester Large Rifle primers. I tried Federal 215's it made no difference only a 13 fps change.
Choronoed: 3080 fps
This load produced the group at 300 yds on that day.

Forgive my rambling JB (Mule Deer), I just enjoy shooting it. When I sat down and compared it to other cartridges and especially their bullets its rather difficult to "not like it".
It offers alot and then some. It will be the cartridge I use this hunting season.
Do I like it? Yes I do, very much so.

I am 50 years old.

Best

Heavy

Last edited by HeavyDove; 04/11/20.