Originally Posted by shaman
I'm nearly 62.

When I was 17, my buddy up the road came down with his motorcycle and invited me on for a ride. When we got to the first stop sign, I asked to get off, and have not been on a motorcycle since. I thanked him for the experience and walked home.

That was pretty much my experience with the 7mm Rem Mag. I had a friend who had one. I shot a couple of rounds and thanked him for the experience. That was it. At one point, I had a boss offer me a Rem 700 in the chambering that his wife wanted to get rid of from the back of the closet. No thanks.

I'm somewhat more mellow on the subject, now 30 years on. I just have no particular need for one. At the time, I had not bagged a deer farther than 20 yards from the muzzle. I had pounded my shoulder with a 12 GA slug and a 30-06. I didn't want or need anything more. "Flatter trajectory" doesn't register to someone who fires down on a deer from a treestand. Nowadays, I've broadened my horizons. I actually have a ground blind where a 250-yard shot is possible. However, it's all still whitetail, and what is on the other side of the deer really doesn't care. A 30-06 does the trick just fine.

I'm not going to knock 7mm Rem Mag. I'm not going to knock motorcycles. They're just not for me.

I'm 68, and my feelings pretty well mirror this. Shot in a friend's 7 mag over 20 years ago and it was fine, but I don't see the need for the excessive powder usage and muzzle blast. The 7x57 works well to 300+ yards, as does the '06, 257 Roberts, 250 Savage, the various 6.5s, etc. Did shoot a .300WM a few years back. Two shots. Never again. But, I will never dispute someone's choice of cartridge or caliber. As Red Green says, "Remember, keep your stick on the ice. We're all in this together."

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard