After having rifles in 6 mm Rem and 7x57, I came into some money in 1988 and had Brown Precision build me a rifle in 7 mm Rem. I shot it for a couple of years and then had it reamed to 7 Mashburn. I like it more as a Mashburn and have since had a another rifle made in Mashburn. I had the second rifle stocked with a Brown pound'r and shoot 175 gr Sierras and Noslers in it. Finshed weight is 7 3/4 lbs. 73 gr H1000 gives me 3075 fps and avg groups of 5 shots at about .75". The Mashburn is what the Remington was supposed to be from the factory before the unexpected pressure excursions reared their ugly head.

Using 162 gr. Hornady interlocks in the original gun after Mashburn conversion I have killed deer out to about 475 yds with some regularity using a 2.5x10 Swavorski Prohunter.

I have a light weight Rem 700 30-06 for guests who come to hunt. I load 150 gr. Barnes bullets in the 06. I'm 69 and think some version of big 7 at 7.5 to 8 lbs of weight is a really great combination of sectional density, velocity, portability, and recoil.

YMMV.