A little late to the party, but I'll give my input. I am 43 years old and am a big fan of the 7mm Rem Mag. It gives me the most efficient big game general purpose round for hunting everything, possibly short of the big bear. However, Phil Shoemaker said he has seen good results on brown bear using the 7mm Rem Mag and would allow his hunter to use it. Remington's big 7 gives me plenty of velocity, with adequate bullet weight of 160-175gr for large animals like elk or moose, and those heavy 7mms are obviously high BC and SD values, penetrate well, and do so with less recoil than their 30cal counterparts, which to me is a huge factor. The 7mm Rem Mag isn't brutal yet, but the 300 Win Mag, to me, is getting unpleasant. My 160 Accubonds with 65gr RL23 at 3100fps or 175gr Partitions with 63.5gr RL23 at 2950fps will do well for anything non dangerous out to 600 yards with authority, which is farther than I'd like to shoot, but under the right conditions, am able to do so. I think it is one of the greatest hunting rounds ever developed.