Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by shootinurse

I'm 68, and my feelings pretty well mirror this. Shot in a friend's 7 mag over 20 years ago and it was fine, but I don't see the need for the excessive powder usage and muzzle blast.

The 7x57 works well to 300+ yards, as does the '06, 257 Roberts, 250 Savage, the various 6.5s, etc.

Did shoot a .300WM a few years back. Two shots. Never again. But, I will never dispute someone's choice of cartridge or caliber. As Red Green says, "Remember, keep your stick on the ice. We're all in this together."

Agree up to > 300 yds. What about 400 plus ?

I have killed deer at 12' (feet) and out to 402 yds lasered with a 7 RM. The mags have more than 1 purpose . To push heavier bullets faster, ergo...flatter and BEFORE monos...with more penetration.
And to push lighter bullets EVEN faster and EVEN flatter.

For anyone who only hunts and shoots 300 yds and under the mags don't offer an advantage.

CERTAINLY and w/o doubt, I have killed many more deer UNDER 300 yds THAN 400 +..
The problem is WHERE I've hunted and hunt today, I never know how close or far away I will have a shot.

With a 7 Mag... it doesn't matter.

Not everyone has the same recoil tolerance. Many here don't believe me but it's true nonetheless. When shooting a 270 W or a 7 Mag.....I can't tell the difference in recoil.

We have some women who participate here and even mentioned IN this discussion that like and shoot the 7 Mag well.

** I kept my stick on the ice ** GRIN

Jerry

I'm not knocking the 7MM Mag, one of the great chamberings and my kids and I have hunted it a lot. I just don't have one at this time. We've had this conversation in the past, and still disagree about how flat the 7MM Mag is compared to say the .270 Win or 30 06. I really think you are kidding your self as there is only about 2"or 3" of difference at 500 yards, Two inches at 500 yards is no difference! Not trying to pick a fight, just my humble opinion. I lost a deer years ago due to long rang poor shooting on a windy day, leaving and animal to die a terrible death. Never again! I still think in horror about my poor judgement 50 years later. I always try to get closer than 250 yards
or less, even with a 7MM Mag. If the buck spots me and bolts, we'll meet another day. Some of my most enjoyable hunts have been with my 300 Savage or .54 round ball, shooing 100 yards or less after a long stalk. It is the hunt not the kill no matter what caliber you choose to use. Keep your stick on the ice Jerry!

Last edited by Switch; 04/10/20.