John,

Bought a Remington 700KS in 7mm Rem. Mag. in the first year or two after Big Green introduced that model. Shot (shoots) like a house afire. Whitetail, hog, pronghorn, elk, Dall sheep, coyote. 140 gr. Partition, 160 gr. Partition, 175 gr. Partition. I could happily hunt the rest of my days exclusively with that rifle but I can also say that about half a dozen other rifles/chamberings.

In six trips to Namibia (involving animals in the triple digits) I've never taken the 7mm Mag. preferring a .300 Win. Mag. Again, whitetail hunting (involving triple digit animals) the majority have fallen to a .25-06 or a like-powered chambering. To me, the 7mm Mag. will do pretty much what the great majority of hunters will ever ask a rifle to do if it's the only rifle someone owns. But I don't know anybody who owns only one rifle. To me the chambering is a "tweener": more than I want/need for deer, less than I need/want for elk, plains game, etc. I have no interest in seeing how far I can kill an animal but for long range work on deer the 7mm Mag. in a suitable rifle would be good place to start.

What I have learned in a little over sixty years is that, in this time and place, there are many, many excellent choices and not just in rifle chamberings. Aren't we the lucky ones!

Cheers, RS

Last edited by RipSnort; 04/10/20.