Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Rex,

"And your final statement above makes me want to get a confirmation from you:
"All of which is why I advise loading to velocity, not the powder charge."
RE: Nosler's top load with the 160 AB and 61.5 gr/RE-19 at 3046 fps.
I am up to 63 gr/RE-19 and still only getting 2979 fps. I reckon you'd say keep going to that velocity? If I was getting the accuracy I wanted at 2979 I'd be happy, but would like to see what it does closer to the same pressure Nosler used, since their fastest load with RE-19 was the most accurate."

You statement assumes that a few more fps are always better--though that can vary some with RL-19 in different temperatures (which can also affect accuracy).I have yet to see any notieceable difference in "killing power" from a 160-grain 7mm bullet started 100 fps faster--or slower.

If you want to work up a load that's (at least theoretically) the same pressure as Nosler's data suggests,then fine, work up to 3046 fps (or whatever the equivalent is with your chronograph). But even for a rifle loony you're being pretty finicky.

Ha! Thanks John. Do I get a prize or something ;o)?
Actually my main purpose in this (and my previous post re: 175 ABLR/Magnum) was to let folks know to be sure to do the standard wise thing and start low to work up with the loads you provided in your latest, since I found (for once!) that my M98 hits your velocities at significantly less powder than your M18 did.
I'm looking forward to getting back to the range with the 160 Accubond and something more down around 72 grains of 8133, which in mine I expect will do about 3000 fps (your magic number from "Handloads That Work").

One last try: Does your M18 get a lot less velocity with the loads in the Nosler #8 manual than Nosler's test rifle got?

Cheers,
Rex