My first rifle was a 7RM, strictly b/c I could not find a 270, it was in the 80s, a well used 700 ADL, but the old SS OEM barrel, coated black. It had the trigger tuned as I recall, and had been floated and bedded in the recoil lug. My first loads were a 145 BTSP on deer, a large 8pt at 30 whopping yds, destroyed the on shoulder, wrecked the lungs, never exited, bullet exploded, nothing but shrapnel. My load was SUPPOSED to mimic 280 speeds, but the Speer manual was revised, as it had been I believe a Savage and later a new test gun which showed the pressures were much higher and speeds, in normal rifles.

Had fun shooting a few 115 HPs at 3375 chrono'd - heavy recoil so later dropped down around 3 - 3,100, dumped a coyote - saw the feet all 4 straight up as he went upside down the instant I pulled the trigger, yes via a 3-9 Leupold...he stopped going away, and turned his head, shoulder/neck shot. Later went on a diet of 160 Sierra and 162 Hornady BTSP as I recall, 4831, about 2850 as I recall. They shot much better than the lighter 145 above and 140 BT. Loaned it to someone who dumped plenty deer. I sold it to enjoy a milder 243 ADL.

Years later bought a 700 BDL SS on sale, NIB, it doted on 150 BTs, 1/2" was common at 100 yds for 3, using a 3-9x40 4200. Sold it, just never felt I needed it. Did shoot a Sako wood stock once, in 7RM, recoil was bad, something about that stock angle....

Later, I went to 7/08s and now many 6.5s and even 6BR and 243s. I did a 7 MIDGET for quite some time.......a Model 7 in 7BR, a Pac-Nor job, very accurate, mild, and deadly. Finn Aaggard did a write up on the BR in a few mags like American Rifleman/Hunter and maybe Guns and Ammo or Shooting Times.

I still view the 7RM as a no non-sense round that when fed 150-162s has a lot of utility for someone needing reach. It is not that much more in practicality over say a 270, 280, or '06, IMHO, but the slight edge in trajectory and ammo that performs if one buys it, seems to be there. I prefer a belt-less round for headspacing, less recoil, and an extra round in the same rifle / mag capacity.

For me, it's more recoil than I want at this point of my life. I was 21 when I bought that first one....nowadays I'd just as soon use a mild 6.5 or perhaps try that PRC.

IME, the 150 BT and 160-162s seemed to GEL better than the 140 class.......those 115s were not stellar, but did drop some critters - some way out there, and that MV made it flat to 250-300 yds that I was shooting.

Looking forward to your article and results.

Last edited by 65BR; 04/11/20.