Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'd like to do a little survey: How many of you are fans of the 7mm Remington Magnum, or just regularly hunt with one? I'd also like to know your age.

Am working on an article involving 7mm big game rounds.

John, I've posted variations of the following more than once:

[snip]I graduated college in 1982, and being an anal engineering type spent the entire span of my senior year communicating with the top riflesmiths, gunwriters, ballisticians, bullet makers, powder suppliers of the time. The question was: What chambering should I adopt to hunt the world, based on effectiveness, accuracy, availability, etc...

Funny thing...the 7mm Rem Mag came out on top by a landslide...including recommendations by some gunwriters that would totally surprise a bunch of readers here.

The main recommendation was based on the claim that MANY loads/bullet weights, handloads and factory, shot to the same POI in close,, and I have found that to be true.

The second was that it was an extremely popular round, and ammo could be found pretty much anywhere worldwide. Also true.

I bought a pair of Sako Lightweight A5's and over the next 30 years proceeded to take 47 species with the round in my work travels.

Upon selling my company and retiring I also used a Jarrett .280AI, a John Lewis .280, several 7mm-08's, and was successful with all simply by asking myself "how would this shot compare if I was using my 7 Mag?"

Made it easy.

They all work to the limits of their ability to expand a good bullet.

BUT...if you are traveling, the 7 Rem Mag is available in a wider range of good bullets over the counter, that DO tend to shoot to a common point of impact, and is the logical choice.[snip]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...