Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Yessir. My immediate family didn’t shoot or hunt growing up, but my grandfather had taken me shooting targets and gophers a bunch from an early age, and had taught me how to reload ammo. I read everything hunting, shooting, and reloading I could get my hands on, and even dreamed about hunting. I got a .22 when I was 11 years old, and wreaked havoc on gophers around the little chicken farm I was raised on. When I was 14 yo my grandfather’s friend passed and his widow had his old Husky H-5000 in 7mmRM. I had been working for family and friends doing yard work and landscaping since the age of 8, so I had some money saved up. I (with my father’s help) bought the Husky from the kind old widow - my first centerfire rifle - and have been shooting and hunting with it ever since. For several years it was my only centerfire rifle, and saw a lot of use. It went everywhere with me, including guiding up north in the NWT, and has killed all sorts of NA game animals. I long ago wore out the factory barrel, but it currently has a fresh JC Custom SS barrel, and the barrel and originally blued metal has been given some Graphite Black Cerakote to restore the original look of the rifle. My grandfather and the widow have both since passed, so while the Husky has been designated my fair-weather big critter rifle, I’ll continue to take it out a couple of times each fall to bring back fond memories of the best grandfather a boy could have, a kind old widow, and some of the best hunting and shooting memories I possess. I have several other 7Mags (including WSMs), but when I hear or see “7mm Rem Mag”, I think of the Husky.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but it was a nice trip down memory lane. I’m 37.

nice post Jordan.... not long winded at all...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez