I live on a nice little golf course. I play or practice nearly every day during the happy months. 30+ year golfer. It amazes me what pro's can do, and their consistency. I do take lessons and work on things with a pro each season. Have 5 different teaching/playing pros numbers in my phone. I play lots of amateur tournaments, but I'm not enjoying the local leagues as much as the past because of the stupid USGA handicap system. Getting to single digits was hard. Getting to a 6 handicap was a lot of work. Trying to get to scratch is stupid crazy hard. Staying a single digit after the age of 55 is a challenge worthy of the effort.

The short game is critical. Clean ball striking is mandatory. Long irons and distance control. Fairway metals off the deck. Putting. Chipping. Putting. Chipping. Putting. Wedge work. Equipment fitting. Driving. Swing analysis.
Finding consistency.
When to be patient. When to go for it.
Using the right ball for your game.
Dealing with weather conditions and wind.
Everyone hits bad shots and poor putts. Good golfers don't follow up a bad shot or a poor putt with another one.
Lots of challenges wrapped up in a total package.
The end result is just a number on a card that does not tell the whole story of a round. A 2' putt is the same as a 300yd drive on that scorecard.
Met lots of great folks while playing, and some not so good folks too.

I will play until I simply can not. Golf is life. "Just playin' thru!"