Originally Posted by krp
Golf isn't about golf, it's about betting, all kinds of bets/games can be had and usually have 2 or more different ones at the same time, even the pros have bets going on between themselves per round and tally up after. With presses and such the last hole/holes are really where it's at, no matter how good you started if you finish bad you will be slammed. Lots of team games/bets, team tournaments, calcuttas, best ball...

Anyway I used to golf, was a solid 10 handicap which put me as a low C or high B player depending on the tournament. Most I won was 1200.00 per man on a calcutta. Lowest I shot was a 69 individually, usually in the mid 70s. Most public and private neighborhood courses are called short courses, even from the tips they are much shorter and easier slope/hazards than a PGA tour course, your handicap represents what you should shoot at a regular long harder course. Not often does a regular golfer play a long course, most 70 to 72 par courses are 6000 to 7000 yards. As a +10, I should have shot in the mid 70s consistent and I did, my buddies that were scratch to +4 would shoot well below par and if shot par would have had a terrible day.

Broke my leg on an elk hunt in '09 and couldn't golf for over a year, then couldn't really get myself back into it, it takes a lot of practice, playing and commitment to stay competitive.

I miss the guys and the fun and the jokes and the jibes, they still ask me to come play and I tried but can't compete, we play mostly team bets and whoever picked me got the short end of the stick, I know they don't care that much but I compare what player I used to be over who I am now and just don't play anymore.

I did go out this last summer and play 3 rounds of solo golf to see where I was at, kept my drives short to stay in play, shot 2 mid 80s and a 79, which puts me about a +18. Negative was I had only 4 birdies in 3 rounds, though playing short on a short course means few doubles and triples from going long and hitting out of bounds a couple times. Scoring a birdie, 5 pars and the rest bogies maybe 1 double won't play in team play. You need to be able to dominate a number of holes, toss out a few that you went for it but failed and hold the line on about half with a par. Boom or bust, mediocre/bogie doesn't hack it.

I played with a lot of really good golfers, club pros, regional pro tournament players, sometimes they would even qualify for a PGA open, have lots of stories, again I was a C player which means in team play I was 3rd, expected to pick up some holes, make some putts and hit some shots in to help the team...

Anyway , lots of stories but a favorite one is one of the guys that played with us was a famous olympic gold metal winner, he was about the same handicap as me. He couldn't make a local charity tournament and asked if I would take his place. I did but we didn't change the name, it was team play with 2 foursomes together on the same hole, when the other team showed up they were like... 'I thought you might be him'... I said 'I get that a lot'... got a lot of laughs out of that.

Hardest course I played was Alcatraz, PGA West Palm Springs, it's where they started the skins games with Nichlaus, Trevino ect... an MF'er course. Played it 3 times, first round 101, second round 99, third round wanted to hit 90. I was pretty close coming into 17, Island green par 3, made famous when Trevino won a huge skin. I get up and hit a great shot about 7 feet from the hole. We were playing a 2 man team tournament, our own ball, best score of the two written down per hole. The other guys partner got drunk the night before so I was the partner of both guys it was decided by the group. My first partner hits his in the water, my second partner hits his in the water. My ball counts for both teams and I'm sitting good so not a huge deal. We go to the drop zone circle, about 60yd shot... first guy hits it in the water,,, second guy hits it in the water... some snickering... next guy hits it in the water... laughing... next guy hits it in the water... horse laughing... I'm trying to keep calm as I have a birdie put on the famous 17 of Alcatraz... they finally get on lying like 8 or 9, still laughing, I'm like you F'ers quit it you're making me laugh while putting... I missed and made an easy par which was great anyway... shot a 91, the best 91 of my life.

Kent

Kent,

That's some good reading buddy. Sounds like you're a helluva golfer.

I know what you mean about the courses too. When I have golfed legit courses I think to myself "Jesus Christ, this is tiring." LOL

I have read stories about Michael Jordan playing 18 and 36 holes the day of a playoff game and always thought that was impressive. But now that I've actually golfed some big'ish courses I realize that it's just flat fugking amazing. Those guys are at a whole other level.

I got my youngest daughter enrolled in "First Tee" at our local course yesterday. She seems to really enjoy it and I hope she sticks with it.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house