Originally Posted by deflave
I hate to ask a rookie question, but do you scratch or low handicap golfers have a ball preference?

I hear people go on and on about this and I always laugh because it seems so silly unless you're a true baller.

But maybe it's a thing.

It’s a thing.

Think about it like bullet choices through different barrels with different powders.

That’s why I dropped that “ball fitting” comment into the club fitting conversation. It’s easily accomplished with a launch monitor, although one definitely isn’t required.

I played a ProV1x forever. Recently switched to a TP5x. Jury’s still out. My honest opinion is that they perform so similarly, why change? I’ve spent 25 years looking at “Titleist” at address, why change that up for a yard, or two.

If you’re going to be playing this much over the next few weeks/months, grab a few different sleeves and play a sleeve until it runs out and then try whatever sleeve you pull out next.

If you don’t mind spending a little money, I’d start with ProV1/ProV1x, AVX, TP5/TP5x, Bridgestone Tour B (match one to your swing speed or pick a few different versions), and I’ve played and liked Srixon’s Z-Star XV. A lot of folks really like Callaway’s Chrome Soft/Soft X, but I’ve never been a fan of their golf balls.