Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Have you been fitted for clubs? If not, go do it.

No.

I've been told that's largely overrated.

I’d disagree with this. As has been mentioned, going to a quality fitter will change the game. They’ll match a set of clubs to whatever excuse for a swing you bring them. Proper shaft flex, kick point, weight, and length; proper loft/lie on your heads, proper grip size, etc. If they’re worth their salt, they’ll have you on a launch monitor for all of this and incorporate a ball into the mix to make sure you’re using a ball fits the swing and club setup they’ve figured out for you.

Did one with PXG about a year ago and it was amazing. Tried probably 200 different configurations that day and by the end, the guy was like, “Swing this and play a draw and watch it go straight. Now play a fade and watch it stay low” kinda schit. They’ll also put checkshots in there to make sure their numbers are right, so he’d be like, “This is probably gonna feel like schit, but go ahead and swing it anyways just so we can make sure we’re on the right track.” Sure as [bleep], it felt like hitting one chunky out of a gravel driveway.

If you think you’ll get serious about playing more often and trying to get better, I think a quality fitting session and subsequent custom club purchase is one of the largest ROI’s you’ll find in the process.

Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Originally Posted by deflave
Have you been fitted for clubs? If not, go do it.

No.

I've been told that's largely overrated.

Depends on if they do it right. It’s only overrated if you don’t like ten or twenty extra yards with your drives.

If you are average ability, height and swing speed then it's likely no benefit. If you're tall, short, weak or athletic then get fitted. It's fairly easy and you can do it yourself with a little training and a few simple tools.

Grossly overstated and inaccurate. Well, maybe not. If by a few simple tools you mean a several thousand dollar launch monitor and a couple hundred shafts, complete with QD fittings into each of the several dozen heads you’d need, as well as various grips for each shaft offering, then I suppose you’re right. Gone are the days of a little face tape, heel tape, and an impact board.

I get what you’re saying - most off the shelf clubs are designed for average height, swing speed, ability, etc. But for Christ’s sake, pick a course and go sit at the tee of number one for an hour and tell me if you think all the swings you witness are similar enough to be playing out of the same bag.

There’s a reason launch monitors are so pervasive these days. Using them to fit clubs to your style is absolutely valuable and should be done by anyone who wants to get better at the game.

If you are not hitting the ball consistently on the sweet spot then there is no amount of technology that will help. Getting the basic club length and shaft flex correct is a proper first step. Leave the gizmos for the suckers who are willing to get fleeced for $1,000 every year or two.

God Bless America