Originally Posted by flintlocke
Bellydeep, We digress a little here, but there are many accounts that in the Winter War, the Soviets sent "politically unreliable'' units into the Finnish guns fully intending that they be slaughtered...it was cheaper than sending them to the gulags. If the units faltered they were machine gunned from the rear with no chance of survival, if they advanced into the Finn positions they had a chance to survive another day. The 'Shtraftbat' battalions gained infamy in WW2 but had their beginnings in the Winter War.

Russia has never been able to keep its casualty numbers low in a modern war. Germany was able to fight France, GB, and Russia at the same time with very little meaningful help in WWI.

While they did most of the heavy lifting in WWII, had Hitler let his generals make the decisions instead of personally managing the campaigns, Russia would likely have been knocked out of the war by ‘42, if not a year before when the Nazis initially invaded.

Russian military doctrine has traditionally been to just keep throwing more lives into the slaughter to compensate for poor training and equipment.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.