We promised the Russians after the wall came down that NATO wouldn’t be encroaching or moving “1 inch to the East” yet we obviously lied about that.

Serious question. Some people always say to me when I try to hold Russia accountable for something that happened back in the Soviet Union days, "No, no, That was the Soviet Union" "That wasn't Russia". Well okay. So if Russia is truly a completely different country now free from being held accountable for any of the sins of the Soviet Union then why would any treaty or promise to the former Soviet Union still be in effect with Russia. Are they different countries or aren't they? Because Russia can't have it both ways. Seems to me they hop to either side of that line as it suits them. As do their defenders.

Want all agreements with the former Soviet Union to still hold?

Then admit that the Soviet Union was really nothing more than Russia forcibly occupying and running those eastern block countries via puppet governments. And that being the case all treaties and agreements made back then still hold sway.

OR

Fully embrace the path that Russia is now a totally different country fully absolved of all Soviet sin BUT no longer able to hold anyone to an agreement made with the former Soviet Union.