I don’t think Russia or the US planned on a war like this.

For Russia’s part I think they planned on going in there, taking the territory they wanted and making a quick deal after showing people they weren’t fcking around. They didn’t plan on this level of foreign support that is in and of itself so damaging to the Ukraine and the western nations themselves.

I think the US hawks saw an opportunity to make Russia bleed and took it.

The danger is that the Russians aren’t going to back down with this being in their backyard anymore than we would if we had invaded northern Mexico. And the American plan is sort of ad hoc with no real plan of what victory looks like except for complete Russian capitulation which isn’t realistic unless there is a direct war between the US and Russia.

No matter how many billions of dollars we send them, Ukraine will never able to defeat Russia on the battlefield. I guess from an American hawk perspective the best outcome is a bleeding sore that costs Russia men and money and eventually fatally undermines Russia and the Putin regime. Of course, the problem with that is that history shows us that such uncertainty would likely bring a MORE hardline and anti-western regime into being.

It’s a very dangerous, wasteful, and useless endeavor that if it doesn’t get us killed in the short term, is going to have cascading ramifications for decades to come if not longer with all kinds of unforeseeable outcomes.

Last edited by JoeBob; 10/11/22.