Originally Posted by bellydeep
That raises the questions:

1) Why hasn’t Russia taken everything it wants already?
By Russian law, Russia was limited in the response it could take fighting in foreign territory. Once the Donbass republics voted to become part of the Federation, different laws applied. Putin is not crazy, he is not the dictator we make him out to be. They have a constitution and laws they follow. This escalation had to be voted on and signed off on by numerous legal entities.

2) Why hasn’t the umbrella already knocked the Ukes back?
Umbrella? Usually an umbrella keeps things from falling on you. What are you talking about? The latest offensive bombing? I think that has affected the front-line Ukes. They are pulling manpower away from different fronts.

It sounds like you’re saying Russia is like a cat playing with a mouse. It looks more like some hulking, drunk goon in a bar tried starting a fight with a smaller guy, and the smaller guy turned out to be a featherweight boxing champ. Suddenly, the outcome of the fight doesn’t look so certain.

I agree Russia is building up for a counter-offensive. That’s what you do when the other side launches and effective offensive. But I don’t think the recent Uke gains were expected nor tactically planned by Russia.
I don't think Russia planned on there being the level of foreign support for Ukraine that there has been, nor on the intransigence that Ukrainian leadership has displayed.

Let's face it, Ukraine had 8 years to defeat a bunch of separatist hicks and they couldn't do it. Ukraine would have folded months ago if not for American intervention.

Politics is War by Other Means