Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by johnn
Its complicated, it had to be someone that knew all 4, one thing to attack two and leave, but then go to another floor in the building and kill them as well. Had to be someone that was jealous, ostracized by all four of the victims.
Sounds like Jack to me.

Originally Posted by muleshoe
#jackdidit

Jack seems statistically likely, but I'm doubtful.

The crime scene is fixed in the sense that it contains (or does not contain) all of the evidence it ever will. There is no hurry to process the scene in the legal sense if they have probable cause for an arrest right NOW. They can arrest now on probable cause and finish processing the scene to beyond a reasonable doubt in the coming days or weeks.

However, they do not have a murder weapon, nor do they have any bloody clothing. Both of those things are VERY important pieces of evidence if they can be recovered.

Now, you take someone like Jack. If he did it, it was presumably a crime of passion or very hastily planned, meaning it wasn't done very well. He would likely have some cuts, scratches, or other marks on his hands and arms, which would be visible to police. There should be some kind of digital data (or maybe just odd inactivity) on his phone. The knife was either in his possession already (and probably known to his roommates because he didn't obtain it specifically to commit the murder) or he purchased it shortly before the killings (which LE have already looked into). In either case, they would have some indication that Jack owned a big knife of some kind. And its unlikely Jack would not act strangely if he had just murdered 4 people and had state and federal agents interrogating him.

In other words, if the killer is Jack, law enforcement likely has enough for probable cause to get a warrant for his residence and search his body for any wounds the victims may have caused. I promise you, law enforcement would not hold back to "build their case" or whatever else has been suggested if they had PC to arrest Jack and no murder weapon or bloody clothes. They would want to try and recover that evidence and any other evidence before it is disposed of. Yeah, they might have someone watching Jack to see if he takes a bag of trash out of the house or whatever, but meanwhile Jack could be cutting his clothes up into little bitty pieces and flushing them down the toilet, or filing his Ka-Bar into a pile of metal shavings, or destroying the evidence in any other number of ways. The cops want to get inside Jack's residence if they think he might be the killer, and will do so ASAP.

DNA data, in an expedited case, can be turned around in less than 24 hours. Cell data can be produced within minutes sometimes. Yes, it might take a while to get through ALL of it, but I promise these things have already been done:

1) Review of Jack's cell data, as well as the victims
2) DNA testing of victims' fingernails with comparison to Jack's DNA (voluntarily or via a warrant)
3) Intense vetting of Jack's alibi and his story of events leading up to that night
4) Approximate shoe size for Jack and the killer

If Jack did commit the murders, I have a real hard time believing they don't have probable cause for a search of his house yet.

I also have a hard time believing Jack would be able to "run the table" and stab all 4 people to death before anyone had a chance to get to their phone. There is an unsolved Oregon stabbing from last year that some are saying might be related if this is a serial killer. In that case, the killer stabbed the wife 19 times and she survived: https://people.com/crime/masked-intruder-stabbed-oregon-woman-19-times-killed-husband/

Point is, it is apparently not that easy to quickly kill someone with a knife. All of these Millennial/Gen-Z victims would have had their phones nearby. I think it is very likely Jack would have unknowingly left at least 1 of the 4 still alive, and that person would have called 911 or texted someone. And of course, they all knew who Jack was and could have identified him if he didn't have a mask on or if he said anything.

Instead, the police just EXPANDED the crime scene yesterday, 8 days after the killings. 8 days of media and lookey-loos coming by to try and see something about this infamous crime. God knows how contaminated that area probably is:

Law enforcement cordoned off a wide area behind a home on Monday in Moscow, Idaho, where four college students were stabbed to death eight days ago. 

The four University of Idaho students – Kaylee Goncalvez, Madison Mogen, Ethan Chapin, and Xana Kernodle – were found murdered on the second and third stories of that home just blocks from campus on Sunday, Nov. 13. 

The entrance to the back of the house is on the second level, and opens up to a parking lot and forested area, which was blocked off by police tape on Monday. 

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/us/idaho-police-expanding-crime-scene-site-college-students-murders

This tells me they don't have a suspect yet. Also tells me that they might have thought this was a pretty open-and-shut case initially, and they aren't solving it as quickly and easily as expected. Also tells me, as many have said on here, they are not the best investigators. How was the wooded area immediately in back of the house not secured earlier?

You make some good points but there is the fact these folks were out partying and were quite likely passed out. Two in one room and two in another room on another floor. (From accounts).

If passed out, would have been easy enough for Killer to get their phones out of the way if they were nearby the victims before they could call. Then again, phones get put on dressers to charge and not necessarily near the bed.

Two other victims passed out on the other floor of the house may never have heard anything, or if they did been cognizant enough of what it was they were hearing.

Killer then goes to their room and repeats.

They'll catch Killer soon enough............................or not.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?