Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by GunGeek
[/b]
Food for thought…
… the depth of the average adult male thorax is probably no more than ten inches, from front of chest to back.[/b]

I'm not going to read the article, because I'm going to guess that they don't define "passed through someone" so as to distinguish your "through the thorax" from "clipped his pinky", thereby rendering the statistics useless. You can chide me if I'm wrong.

He doesn't lay out the entire database But does give some examples of through torso penetration. Regardless the point is that carrying a load you know for a fact will completely perforate a torso could become a liability. Doesn't mean it's automatically a liability, but that there could be problems.

in crowded areas that could be a problem. At church, a concert, a mall, sporting event, gun show. If something went down, there's a good chance there could be some "no shoots" on the other side. He also mentions the tachy psych effect where you may be unable to determine if there are any no shoots on the other side. The one cited the person on the other side turned out to be the officer's partner. And you can't blame a guy for that, under tachy psych, you don't have control over if that does or does not give you tunnel vision.

Just food for thought. I'm not changing my loads or anything because I don't carry anything that has that much penetration. But people whom carry hardball or hard cast may want to think about it.

One of our members carries .45 ACP JHP's, but carries .45 Super cast FP's for his reload. Such a choice can have a down side...it can also have one hell of an up side too. You just have to evaluate your more likely scenarios and determine what's the best idea.

When I lived in Arkansas I was VERY rural, so such a load out would have been damn near perfect. Now I'm still rural but considerably less rural with more frequent trips to cities, so a Super cast FP in my spare mag may not be the best idea.

I'm not really advocating one way or another, just think everyone ought to make as fully an informed decision as possible.

please excuse any typos this reply was done on my phone