On judging pronghorn. Think I put this up last year, but we're aware that Photobucket tossed us. Cookie would shoot me if I divulged this location, but it's beneficial if one can find a spot with a good number of animals for direct comparison purposes. An isolated buck gives us nothing to relate to. This is approximately half of the animals that were in this basin when the Oregon moose and goose boys flew over in a small plane doing their 2016 preseason census. Cookie just happened to be stationed in her popup at one end. She was a bit irate until she found out it was an official business flight. Probably 250+ animals in the frame and a ton of bucks. This is far from a publication quality image (about an 80% reduction from the original), as our systems don't pass full frame images around due to file size. Still, one may be able to expand it somewhat and then go across and see that there are 3 or 4 eye poppers in the bunch. Also an example that one often has to look at serious numbers before a big one surfaces. Note also, that the real shiners also have bodies about 20% larger than their companions.

Cookie thought she was in for a classic stampede situation, but the group banked to her right and climbed out of the basin. They were back within an hour, but she had already packed up to leave.

On my Microsoft system, if I hold the Ctrl key down and tap the + key, one zooms into the page. Hold the Ctrl key and tap the - key, and one will back out. No real gains in resolution, but the image size can be expanded or reduced. Needless to say, this is exactly where I went to exercise my tag about 3 weeks later. The frustration was one always had the feeling as each one passed that he could do a little bit better. Took me 7 days to squeeze the trigger.

[Linked Image]

Sure wish I had a tag again this year. Cookie should be due though in another 2 or 3 seasons, and we will be there.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/03/17.

1Minute