Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I don't think shade is something to be counted on in this area. I've hunted deer there several times.

I hope it's as much pure "fun" as described. While trophy hunting isn't a big deal to me it's hard not to carry some expectations with a tag that takes 15 years to get.

I'd say my most glaring missing piece here is a spotting scope. I hope my 13x Minox will get the job done. I had considered a higher-power scope for the 6.5 SAUM, but after putting that 3-10 SHV on it, and shooting extensively out to 900 yards or so (I won't be HUNTING at those ranges mind you) I decided that I liked the fit and function of the SHV on the rifle. The rifle itself is extremely accurate. For DEER (I'm also doing a pack hunt at the crest of the Cascades this fall) it's perfect. For antelope I have no idea. I could see wishing I had more X's on the top end of the scope. I could see mirage wiping out those extra X's. Heck if I know. I'll just have to make do with what I've got. whistle Really liking the 6.5 SAUM cartridge and I'd contest that it's "overgunned"..... but then some wanker would pull up old quotes of mine about the TSX overpenetrating..... grin....

jeff -

Last year I took my doe (we don't hunt the bucks) with a .243 a 3-9x Burris and a (gasp) .95g SST. Just use whatever rig you are comfortable with. With most of my rifles I just use my elk loads for antelope. The exception is the .257 Roberts where I use 100g TTSX or 110g AB. 3-9x has never been problem and all shots have been under 300.

One thing about buck antelope - they can be curious and sometimes dangerous. Some years back we had a big buck make a fuss about 50 yards away, stomping and snorting. Apparently we were infringing on his space. Last year I had a buck charge me from about 50 yards away. I was so focused on a doe (in a different direction), he nearly got me. I hear Daughter #1 calling my name, which irritated me and I ignored it. She was in the truck a few feet behind me and finally honked the horn. When I looked back over my left shoulder the buck was about a truck length away, head down with the nose almost touching the ground and headed straight for me full speed. As I spun around it took a sharp right and went on the other side of the truck. Had Daughter not honked things would have gotten real interesting.

Good luck on your hunt.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.