Originally Posted by muffin
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by muffin
Paul Barnard, you are probably a great guy, but IMHO, 'Let me see if I can do a better job of gauging your thought processes' doesn't sound exactly ..... Campfireish????

I will try again if it will do any good. I really would like to know if drivers would prefer a group of bicyclists each stop then proceed through individually or stop occupying the space of a single vehicle, yield right of way, then move through together. I always felt like I was doing the right thing moving together as a unit.

What does the Law say?

There is no "the" law. Each state has different laws. Some states have laws that allow more than two abreast. I have never seen the issue of moving through together addressed legally. Even if it were illegal, I'd be inclined to do it if could do so without neglecting my duty to yield right of way.

I said earlier that I often break the law on my bike. Sometimes it's purely for selfish reasons. Sometimes it serves a greater good. I was stopped at a stop light the other day. The vehicle behind me honked. I noticed he had his right turn signal on. There was no cross traffic. I ran the red light. He honked and waved as he made his right. It worked out well for both of us.

If you are interested in looking at something, look at this. Google Pasadena Ave Metairie LA. Look at where it intersects with Metairie road. Then look across at Houma Ave. If I leave my house on Pasadena and want to take Houma because it leads me to the levee bike path, I have two choices. The legal way means I have to take a right and run down narrow congested Metairie road for several hundred yards, hit a U turn, then go back along congested Metairie road for several hundred yards before turning on Houma. Or I can do a quick sprint on Metairie Rd to the U, then when traffic clears go the wrong way on Metairie for 50 yards then turn on Houma.

If I follow the law, I am going to slow traffic considerably and expose myself to greater risks. If I break the law in the way I describe, it will not negatively affect anyone and I won't delay a soul for a second. I will be exposed to lesser risk. What do you think I should do? What do you think most motorists would want me to do?