Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by flagstaff
Originally Posted by JGray
Did you ever consider that those cyclists you claim don't pay fuel taxes more than likely also own and drive motor vehicles?

Yes, I have.

But when they are riding on their bike, on that shoulder, or that trail through the woods or along that river, that bike didn't pay for any of what they are riding on.

Have you ever done any research into how roads are funded?

Here's one article.

https://momentummag.com/free-rider-myth/

Along with many more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+...404j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Actually, I retired as a transportation manager for a County so I know quite a bit about transportation funding. I did it for a living.

The first article you sent says car don’t pay taxes. That’s true. But it doesn’t mention fuel taxes, or Highway Users Revenue Fund, or HURF. That’s collected by the government for every gallon or gas or diesel collected. Depends on the individual State, but it’s typically around $.40/gallon. That money is then dispersed to fund road construction and maintenance. Which by the way, are not getting a passing grade like most of the infrastructure (dams, bridges, water delivery systems, roads, etc.) rating here in the US.

So no, that bicycle shoulder on the side of the road is not in any way paid directly for that shoulder. True, that bicyclist probably buys gas and diesel too, but so does everyone else. But they don’t get special stuff for their fuel tax. By the bicycle community does.

If bicyclist had to pay say $20/day to use that bike path or shoulder construction and maintenance, I am guessing many wouldn’t. But they are getting it free now. And fricken complain about the condition of what they are getting free and don’t abide by traffic laws like the car next to them has to. The car that has fuel in it that paid the tax. Which that bike didn’t.

That’s messed up.

So you do understand that cyclists do pay for roads. In every jurisdiction I have studied, ad valorem taxes pay for municipality and county roads and general tax fund money is used for state and federal roads. Glad we were able to dispense with the myth that cyclists don't pay for roads.

Originally Posted by JGray
Did you ever consider that those cyclists you claim don't pay fuel taxes more than likely also own and drive motor vehicles?

Yes, I have.

But when they are riding on their bike, on that shoulder, or that trail through the woods or along that river, that bike didn't pay for any of what they are riding on.

Have you ever done any research into how roads are funded?

Here's one article.

https://momentummag.com/free-rider-myth/

Along with many more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+...404j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Actually, I retired as a transportation manager for a County so I know quite a bit about transportation funding. I did it for a living.

The first article you sent says car don’t pay taxes. That’s true. But it doesn’t mention fuel taxes, or Highway Users Revenue Fund, or HURF. That’s collected by the government for every gallon or gas or diesel collected. Depends on the individual State, but it’s typically around $.40/gallon. That money is then dispersed to fund road construction and maintenance. Which by the way, are not getting a passing grade like most of the infrastructure (dams, bridges, water delivery systems, roads, etc.) rating here in the US.

So no, that bicycle shoulder on the side of the road is not in any way paid directly for that shoulder. True, that bicyclist probably buys gas and diesel too, but so does everyone else. But they don’t get special stuff for their fuel tax. By the bicycle community does.

If bicyclist had to pay say $20/day to use that bike path or shoulder construction and maintenance, I am guessing many wouldn’t. But they are getting it free now. And fricken complain about the condition of what they are getting free and don’t abide by traffic laws like the car next to them has to. The car that has fuel in it that paid the tax. Which that bike didn’t.

That’s messed up.

So you do understand that cyclists do pay for roads. In every jurisdiction I have studied, ad valorem taxes pay for municipality and county roads and general tax fund money is used for state and federal roads. Glad we were able to dispense with the myth that cyclists don't pay for roads.

Bicyclists pay for the road only if they are buying gas or diesel. Which I have never seen a bicycle filled with gas by the way.

This issue is the same as say, a tourist from Germany who stops and fills his rental car with gas. Except we don’t give him a special lane to drive on. But we do bicyclist. And also sidewalks for pedestrians for that matter. And the biggest rub: the tourist doesn’t complain about the condition of his special lane and act entitled and snobbish like he is “owed” that lane like the bicycle community often does.

In my State, unless the voters approve a special tax to fund roads, zero ad vsloreum or general taxes are used to fund road construction or maintenance. But even if the voters do approve it, those taxes are not “sold” to the to fund bicycle paths as that tax would not be approved by the majority of the voters.

Last edited by flagstaff; 10/21/19.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad