Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Can you explain the difficulty in not creating an (unnecessary)hazard on public roadways?

Or, if they decide to ride the public ways.............why many feel the rules of the road don't app!y to them. Those same cyclists who bitch about traffic not yielding won't give an inch to a runner.

Cyclists don't break laws with any greater frequency than motorists do. A number of studies have shown this. When cyclists do break laws they often cite safety reasons for doing so. Motorists say they most often break the law for reasons of convenience. When cyclists break the law they don't present much of a danger to others at all. The same cannot be said for motorists.

Translation: it's okay for cyclists to break laws because of the perception of safety. I'm sure running stop signs and lit intersections squares with that theory.
Explain again how not yielding to runners fits that theory?

I give pedestrians and runners the same wide berth I like motor vehicles to give me. When space won't allow, I scrub off speed to pass with minimal disparity and I politely announce my presence. There are plenty of places it makes safety sense for me to run red lights on my bicycle. Are you going to tell me you never break the speed limit? Always come to a complete stop for stop signs and right turn on red? Signal every turn and lane change? because if you do, that bring the grand total of people I know who obey every motor vehicle law up to a grand total of 1.