Originally Posted by colodog
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by colodog
The law in Colorado as I understand it is , If I hit a bicyclist I'm at fault.

There is a "single file law" for the bicyclists to keep them out of traffic but it's not uncommon to roll around a corner in the mountains and have 4 wide, chatting as they mosey along an uphill grade.

If I leave my lane to go around, It's on ME.
If I'm travelling at road speed and roll around a corner and hit a rider in the road, It's on ME.

When the traffic light is red, the bikes hit the side walk to keep going and jump back to the street at their convenience, which I'm now obliged to avoid because they are Bikes, It's on Me.

If I grumble too loudly I'll be beaten into submission for not respecting the "rights" of fellow commuters that have no License,Registration,Insurance,and are not responsible for their action, That too is on ME.

Yes, I have a mountain bike and no, I don't ride with cars.

As it should be. It would be on any motorist if they rounded the bend and hit a mail truck, deliver truck, farm equipment, stalled vehicle, etc.

Although they are in violation of the single file law, I'm still the responsible party with no recourse, and bicyclists wonder why car and truck traffic have no respect/patience for bikes...

I was on driving on 550 in Colorado with my wife. We were on one of the downhill sections when we saw two bikes side by side ahead. My wife asked why are they blocking the road. I told her they weren't. Even if they were in single file, to pass them at a safe distance I would have to enter the oncoming lane. I couldn't do that until I had adequate distance with no vehicles approaching. I spend less time in the oncoming lane if they are side by side rather than end to end.