Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by bangeye
Well I'll just tell you up front I find bikers that pick out narrow curves hilly rural roads incredibly rude self centered jerks. Its not that I don't like bikes and I think programs to provide appropriate places to ride such as rails to trails etc fine ideas. I just don't think they belong in the road/street anymore than golf carts, go carts, jazzes kick scooters , riding lawn mowers , skateboards and other means of conveyance. Let me ask you, why don't you just ride on the sidewalk?

The best research I can do shows accidents are more likely to occur on a sidewalk than on the open road. You won't find a single person who has studied sidewalk bicycling who doesn't strongly recommend against it. I love rura backroads and have managed to ride many thousands of miles on them without an accidental close call. I have had people purposefully brush pass me. I doubt anyone has ever had to back off the gas for more than 30 seconds or so for me. Most of the time it's seconds if at all. Every single day of my life I have to back off the gas for longer than that for a slow driver in the left lane. What's the longest you have ever been held up by a bicyclist?

Actually I have been held up quite a bit of time multiple times, but maybe it just me being too careful, as I would really hate to run over somebody no matter how inconsiderate he/she is. The slow downs are especially long on a local road that leads down to the nearby lake. The road is curvy and hilly with no shoulders and is frequented by cars pulling boats. Often there will be quite a backup as some of these cars with heavy boats cannot safely pass thus traffic backs up considerably. I would say 10 -30 minutes isn't uncommon. I know a lady that lives down that way and she leaves for work on 2nd shift an hour earlier than she would normally as this is becoming a popular spot with the local bikers. Think of that she is giving up 5 hours a week because of folks like you.

Also thank you for your response. regarding the sidewalk. I ask it often and always get some BS anecdotal reference that its too dangerous. Talk about screwed up logic a collision between a 220 lb bike and rider and a 175 lb person is too dangerous but a collision between a 3500 lb block of steel and the same 220 lb bike and rider at much greater speed is OK. Isn't what you are really saying is I don't want to have to maybe slow down and be inconvenienced by watching for pedestrians, Id much rather inconvenience everyone else so I can do what I want. Thats what I hear you saying , and frankly i consider you on the same level as the transexuals wanting to use the other sexes bathroom or any other special interest groups wanting special treatment at everyone else's expense.
If the bikers want some place to ride why don't you lobby for a law that requires adequate bike lanes be added or built to hwys and figure out some way to finance it thru taxes. I put forth the excise tax on firearms and ammo and hunting and fishing license fees as good examples. Put a tax on your equipment and require licenses for the roadway and use the money to build places to ride.
I also applaude the thought mentioned that all bikes should meet the insurance and safety requirements , (lights, turn signals brake lights etc.) requirements the same as autos on the road. Sorry Bud but your wrong and you know it and no matter how trite your answers and justification is its BS.

Last edited by bangeye; 09/28/16.