Originally Posted by verhoositz
After reading thru this thread and putting my self in each of the Players Roles, with a 40 year history of selling consumer goods to Retailers from Mom & Pop's to the Largest Big Box Stores In the US, in multiple product categories - including Hunting/Fishing equipment for 13 years - and some of the optics name brands mentioned...my thought are:

Ringworm wanted the cheapest priced & best warranted product available from a retail outlet that is known for its honesty and integrity in Cust Svc as an "Insurance Policy".

He got what he ordered in a timely manner..but it was broke on arrival, got the usage of the CS Insurance Policy & Service he expected - actually came out ahead from the Mfg'er - and he wants to whine that he had a problem when he didn't get a 1st Quality Experience when he bought less than 1st Qualty product as it was a demo/Damaged box item to begin with....regardless if it was a $10,000 product or a $100 product ...I get that...but everyone's CS people stood behind the Product to make his experience happen PDQ as possible...at the deepest Damamged Box/Demo price available in the US and he totally discounts that as not having any value.

IMO & YMMV but "THIS CUSTOMER" is the customer I always knew would be my companies worst nightmare...as he is LOOKING for a problem and will create the loudest most obnoxious problem he can IF AT ALL POSSIBLE 'cause he bought the BEST PRODUCT AT THE CHEAPEST PRICE POSSIBLE and believes he will always get screwed somehow because of it....and HIS Worst nightmare came to pass when he opened the box...and had no faith in the Insurance Policy that 'caused him to make the buying decision initially...thats called NO SELF CONFIDENCE IN MAKING A DECISION.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at the CC Co's CS unit when he filed a denial of payment request....his rquest form prolly went on the coffee room wall or was taught in training class as a an example of "Thats a good Example of an Unreasonable Demand".

As far as AMEX's CS folks, back in the '80's when I was running $125k /$140k annually in T&E and had many such circumstances to bitch about ... but was always told in essence bottom line "Whats your problem ???? If the Parties involved are trying to HELP you get what your ordered in the 1st Place ...and YOU don't want to Let Them???...call us back if you don't get the goods and services you ordered and we'll refuse Payment to the service provider ... airline/hotel/car rental yaddayadda...But not until AFTER THEY have had a chance to resolve the issue"...click.

He & We should realize that any consumer product has a % of of issues with hidden damage ...but the stuff that is offered as a "demo/Damaged box etc has a much higher likely hood of having SOME KIND OF HIDDEN DAMAGE and to expect a certain and much higher percentage of "Issues" when buying this level of consumer goods .... it happens, get over it and enjoy the savings potential...but the lesson is "ALWAYS BUY 1ST QUALITY GOODS FROM 1ST QUALITY PROVIDERS" to get that CS Insurance Policy ( try sending a $100 price point of any number of Chain Store Low Quality brand scopes back an see what you get HAHAHAHA)....and RW did do that to start with in a 1st Quality brand and Retailer...so he needs to back off and Let them give you what you contracted for as PDQ as possible.

Otherwise all you are doing is muddying up the water for your fun and games or to satisfy your personal ego at beating up on the Big Guys in a David & Goliath deal. You are sounding more and more like the guy in Nevada who wants to duck paying his cattle grazing lease contracts ...for 20 years...aways trying to get something for nothing...and whining about it when the facts come out ...the longer this incident is dragged out.

I know of a certain SoCal based P&C Casualty Co that wish's they had met their contractual Insurance Policy promises locally before they got to the courthouse in Texas... 3 times on 3 different claims...so there is always that kind of resoulution over a $100 Optics product available too. Just Sayin
Ron
Originally Posted By: Grumulkin
Originally Posted By: bonefish
This was a hundred dollar scope and the OP was looking for revenge rather than a solution. He could have used this forum to PM Doug rather than to vent to everyone. You however are right that Doug might have been well served to quash this. I do it all the time when dealing with disproportionately angry people like the OP. It is cheaper to pay them off than to spend time listening to them bit_h and cry when they do not get exactly their way.

I think the OP WAS looking for a solution but wanted the solution his way and I think he was justified in wanting it his way. He shouldn't have been told to call Vortex; Cameraland should have taken care of it and it would never have gone as far as it did. I would have been unhappy to be treated that way had it been a $50, a $100 or a $1,000 scope. If a vendor sells you something broken, they should take care of it.

It's disturbing to me how few people can understand this simple concept.
I do not own any vortex products , nor have I do business with "doug" at camrealand and I encourage everyone to read the two above post very carefully and and think