Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by battue
Lets cut to the core of this Moses.

The reasons for, historical implications of and the social divide of that war have raged since the first shot was fired. You can debate the whats and the whys. You can take sides within the context of States rights.

One thing you can't and shouldn't do is slander/desecrate the resting place of the men, women and children who lived thru the horror. Makes no difference if they were from the North or South.

If a Northerner made the same inference to a Confederates resting place my feelings would be the same. You stepped over the line, plane and simple and it can't be justified.

I'd buy you a beer anytime.

It's not about the why, it's about respect. It's about some kid, 150 years ago, scared, tired, hungry, who thought he was doing his duty. It's about that kid, someone's son (think about that, if you have kids) getting a bullet in the gut or a bayonet in the chest, dying alone on some bloody battlefield far from home. What were his last thoughts? State's rights? The stain of slavery? No, he probably just said "Mama, where are you?" And died.

And you're pi$$ing on his grave.

So go ahead, wave your flag and stomp your foot, re-fight battles from a century and a half ago, and see what changes. In the meantime you are showing your true character which is, I must say, really base.

Do you ever understand the idea of shame? If you were a man you would.

P

Yep.

Spent 3 days at Gettysburg about a month ago. Walk across the field where Pickett's charge occurred or stand on Little Round Top with Chamberlain's guys and you'll soon realize that both sides were incredibly brave men - regardless of your position on the issues. There is awe-inspiring power in those sites and graves. They are sacred - period.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.